Jim Higley of Bobblehead Dad made some summer-perfect vanilla BBQ rub and Matt Nielsen shared Nielsen-Massey’s very own signature BBQ sauce.
Sweet and Spicy Vanilla BBQ Rub
Source: New recipes, included in Father’s Day release
- 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Mexican style chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground marjoram
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cocoa (Dutch processed)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
In a small bowl, add vanilla powder, paprika, sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, marjoram, onion powder and cocoa powder, salt and pepper; combine. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
This BBQ rub works great with chicken, pork, beef or fish. Whether grilling or oven roasting, generously apply rub before cooking.
Nielsen-Massey Signature BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (Dutch processed)
- 2½ teaspoons hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons natural hickory liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Chocolate Extract
- ½ teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Coffee Extract
In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add sugar, molasses, cocoa powder, hot sauce, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and salt; stir to combine. Add ketchup, vanilla, chocolate and coffee extracts; stir to combine. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes; stirring occasionally.